Join our Wilders Guild! In this 10-month program, live the life of folk craft, animal care, gardens, and restoring the land.
Make new friends and learn with experienced mentors. Develop skills and confidence through ecological leadership. Share in adventures with a team of like-minded peers while discovering a powerful relationship with nature.
The Wilders Guild
As a Wilders Apprentice you join our Wilders Guild. Our best educators guide Apprentices as they learn together as a team. We thoughtfully challenge students to develop confidence through ecological leadership and restoration.
The Wilders Apprenticeship goes beyond just a club, it immerses you in the skills of Trackers Craft. With dedication and hard-work, your training can grow into a life-long study in a deep set of ancient arts:
- Wild Plants
- Apprentices delve into the incredible world of wild plants. They learn skills of identification and safe harvest of wild foods—developing a connection through seasonal cycles of growth and restoration.
- Folk Craft
- Apprentices learn crafts of woodworking, natural building, animal husbandry, outdoor cooking, and even artisan cheese making. They train both to sustain the Village and help build it.
- The Wilders Garden
- Apprentices tend to the Wilders Garden—our core set of principles of restoration and ecology. The Wilders Garden expresses a very ancient relationship with the land. We go beyond the homestead, journeying into a world where wild plants run through our gardens as our gardens grow through the wild forest.
How it works
Mentoring Weekends One weekend a month for nine months apprentices train with expert instructors at our epic outdoor locations. We provide transportation. Apprentices grade 2-4 do single day field days. Apprentices grade 5-12 do four overnight expeditions, two in the fall, another two the following spring, along with additional field days. See below for class schedule.
Skills Evenings & Open Archery Range There are also learning opportunities every week. Apprentices and their immediate family get free admission to our Skills Evenings (every Thursday) and our Open Archery Range (every Thursday, Friday, Saturday).
We feature specific age ranges for our Wilders Apprenticeship. Training is tailored for each age group.
- Grade 2-3
- Field days truly immerse campers into the Wilders Guild
- Grade 4
- Field days develop team skills and rich learning environments with the Wilders
Field Days & Overnights
- Grade 5-8
- Overnight camp outs and field days teach in-depth craft and Wilders skills
- Grade 9-12
- Overnight camp outs and field days with intensive training in Wilders lore and skills
Commitment and Service
Becoming a Wilder is lifetime pursuit and a rite of passage. Many students have come back for multiple years of study and membership in the Wilders Guild. Personal mentorship insures all levels of learners are welcome and benefit from this diversity.
- September - June
- This program runs September to June. Field days are usually from 9am-4:30pm.
Attend Skills Evenings (Thursday) or Open Archery Range (Thursday, Friday, Saturday) anytime. The option of over 200 more hours of program time for the entire family at no additional cost.