Employment with Trackers Earth | Portland, Oregon
We are looking for absolutely awesome Outdoor Educators to serve as lead instructors in our camps. It helps if like anything by Joss Whedon.
Who we are
Trackers Earth is a leading outdoor education organization for youth camps. We teach old school outdoor skills and lore: wilderness survival, nature awareness, restoration, wild plants, homesteading, kayaking, fishing, tracking and much more.
Working with Trackers Earth can either be the most satisfying or most infuriating experience of your career. We don't run things in the conventional way. We have highly flexible and agile development schedules in order to work with very high standards. Trackers acts more like a family than a conventional business. We're often informal, sarcastic, geeky and definitely intense.
We don't have a conflict resolution process, we have a conflict utilization one; respecting tempered passions as the source of creative genius. We're intelligent, progressive, creative and most importantly we take our work very seriously. We're a "results orientated" workplace, giving you the freedom to get great outcomes while expecting everyone to exceed expectations.
We can safely say, there is no one that does Outdoor Education like we do. Consequently, any interview process with us is an arduous one. We want to find the great matches, we only hire the best fits. Oh, did we mention we like long walks in the woods?
Please do not apply if you are "just looking" for a job. You have to really be excited about us (see below) and meet our qualifications (see below).
Join us if…
- You want to teach from real world experience, not simply models, dogma or philosophies
- You joyfully fulfill the responsibilities and duties given to you
- You are an independent worker, comfortable, competent and inspired by autonomy
- You value collaboration over the rock-star or guru mentality
- You are solutions based, not problems based (no whining;)
- You have a deep commitment to land, family and community
Vital but not necessary skills...
- Tracking as an intense awareness tool Learn more
- Wilderness Survival and Primitive skills Learn more
- Homesteading Crafts Learn more
- Wild Edible Plants and Herbology Learn more
- Seriously RPG skills
Qualities that will ingratiate you to us...
- You have a deep appreciation of Little House Books, show tunes, bacon, the works of Joss Whedon, BSG or you've watched all seasons of Avatar: The Last Airbender (the cartoon not the movie)
- You remember what it's like to be a kid, but you don't act like one all the time
Read the following on our blog to learn more...
- The "indomitable spirit and an iron will" we require: Indomitable Spirit
- How we think outdoor education should be more than games: Just Games
- How we are total, utter, ridiculous, unabashed geeks: Revenge of the Nerds
Employment with Trackers Earth
Outdoor Camp: Lead Instructor For summer: Ranges from $455 to $525 per week in summer Salary increases by both experience & availability. Off-season is hourly.
Ongoing Apply for Summer 2013 ASAP See below for required duties and experience Please Note We REQUIRE 1-3 years of professional experience in Outdoor Camps or related fields to be a lead with our programs. DO NOT apply for lead if you DO NOT meet these requirements. Please apply for assistant below.
Lead Instructor (Summer) Lead Instructors prepare and implement curriculum. They are responsible for the safety of participants in the program, they oversee and manage assistant instructors and student leaders.
- Ranges from $455 to $525 per week in summer
- Salary increases by both experience & availability during Summer Camps
- Prepare and implement curriculum
- Creates engaging and compelling experiences for participants
- Responsible for management and care of supplies and equipment
- Ensures safety of program participants
- Oversee and manage assistants and student leaders
- Provide and maintain own first aid and CPR kits (re-stocking supplies provided by Trackers Earth)
- Keep rosters confidential
- Positive communication with parents, staff and participants
- Attends required seasonal trainings*
- MUST BE available June 9-August 30, 2013
Required Experience and Attributes...
- Maintains high professional standards
- Most important 1-3 years of relevant experience working with youth in the outdoors or in a circus
- Purchase and ownership of your Epi-Pen (we provide training)
- Excellent driving record and competency
- State fishing license if you are teaching fishing camps with us
- Ability to set and communicate boundaries for youth in a positive way
- Ability to think on your feet and be creative in challenging situations
- Intelligent experience with safety and risk management
- CPR/First Aid certified (or ability to complete before position begins)
- Food handlers certified (or ability to complete before position begins)
- A sense of adventure and craving for excellence in taking nature education to a whole new level
- Ability to stay on a budget
- Pre-employment checks such as a criminal background check, reference checks, requirements in the MVR Policy including passing Motor Vehicle Record (MVR) check and Alcohol & Drug Test for CDL Drivers.
- Ability to continuously stand, walk and hike through backcountry terrain
- Ability to bend, squat, climb stairs and hills and lift frequently
- Ability to lift up to 30 pounds frequently
Please do not apply if you do not meet the above required experience and attributes.
- Traditional and primitive skills
- Management experience
- We can help you train for this: CDL and endorsements for buses and transporting students
- Awareness and animal tracking training