Formerly our Junior Counselor in Training program.
Junior Leaders In Training
The Junior Leadership in Training Program (jLIT) is 1-week of leadership and outdoor skills training followed by 1-week of camp mentoring experience as a jLIT with younger campers.
Your jLIT commitment starts with a 1-Week Residential Overnight in Sandy, Oregon. During this orientation week we focus on learning Guild Skills, communication and how to be truly helpful and safe in the kindergarten classroom. Midweek, we take a field trip to our Portland Day Camp site to observe kindergarteners in action. In addition, you have opportunities to choose Guild Skills to train from our Four Guilds.
Day Camp Field Training
Your commitment also includes participation in 1-week of Field Training with our Kindergarten age day camp. This week is an opportunity to apply the leadership and Guild skills you’ve been learning at orientation or other Trackers experiences. All jLIT's are eligible to do their field training weeks in either of the following Day Camp locations: Southeast PDX or Hillsboro. After completing your commitment, you receive a certificate that honors your leadership service.
Choose Your Guild
As a jLIT, it isn't necessary to choose a specific Guild to train throughout your Orientation Week. Your training during that week includes a combination of required skills and activities you choose based on your interests.
- Rangers Guild
- Wilderness Survival, Wildlife Tracking and the Curriculum of Shadows: Invisibility & Stealth
- Wilders Guild
- Wild Edible and Medicinal Plants, Homesteading Crafts and the Wilders Garden
- Mariners Guild
- Navigation, Water & Ocean Harvest and the Compass Rose: Marine Ecology and Sea Lore
- Artisans Guild
- Storytelling, Fine Crafts and The Remembering: Place-Based Learning
More on our Four Guilds
Tuition includes 1-week of overnight training in leadership and traditional skills. Plus a 1-week commitment as a Junior Leader in Training in Trackers Summer Camps.
You can download our program information packets:
Important forms we will need for program registration:
We leave on our our Trackers Buses from 4617 SE Milwaukie Avenue, Portland, Oregon at 1:30pm on Sunday and return at 2pm every Friday.
- Orientation & Overnight Camp
- Sandy, Oregon At Camp Trackers in the Marmot Valley. This beautiful 40-acre woodland site includes the Trackers Homestead where you find free-range chickens, milking goats, abundant wildlife and one of the most epic forests this side of Middle Earth.
- Day Camp Weeks
- 4617 SE Milwaukie Avenue, Portland, Oregon Within minutes of most Portland neighborhoods, right next door to the 140 acre Oaks Bottom Wildlife Refuge where we find birds, deer, bike paths and much more!
National and International Campers
- Airport Shuttle
- We offer shuttle service from Portland International Airport, to set this up before you book your flight learn more about flying to camp.
- Consecutive Weeks
- For campers staying more than one week our Weekend Camp Adventures are designed just for you. These are fully accommodated Friday - Sunday weekend programs which offer different fun activities and the chance to unwind from each week of camp. You can canoe, hike, explore local sites and visit the Oregon Coast. Learn more