Join Trackers Earth and be part of the Best Camps in the Known Universe.
Trackers Earth is a youth organization founded on the idea that kids can navigate real challenges, truly contribute, and develop the grit and character they need! We guide kids to learn wilderness survival, farm craft, and mariners skills while creating immersive camps and programs with epic story adventure.
Seeking qualified applicants for Winter, Spring & Summer Break Camps + substitutes for school-year programs.
We do more in one day than most camps do all summer!
This page is for our Portland Programs. If you live in the Bay Area, check out TrackersBay.com
We're looking for:
Lead: Inspire kids on outdoor adventures learning incredible skills.
Specialist: Expert educators with specific skills from fishing to outdoor survival.
Coordinator: Motivate and lead teams of youth and Guides.
Supervisor: Supervise and mentor Coordinators to deliver the best camp experience for kids.
Requirements for all positions:
- Able to act as a role model and embody the Trackers Code with youth.
- Show enthusiasm to learn and model the core skills of Tracking.
- Have grit, becoming more calm and creative, not emotional, when challenged.
- Show professionalism while supporting youth, families, colleagues, and supervisors.
- Believe in the capability of all ages of youth to contribute with self-direction, self-discipline, and selfless service.
- Follow all safety and quality practices outlined in Trackers training and by Trackers Guides.
- Able to transport yourself to work on time at any Trackers site. This is important!
- See below for required attributes and certifications.
- Complete required credentials and paid trainings in a timely fashion. Trainings are offered at flexible intervals and on days that may accommodate pre-existing professional commitments.
- Experience with Trackers Earth or other similar programs.
- Enthusiasm to for Trackers Earth and teaching in its lore.
- Role With a Coordinator and Specialist or Lead, guide two to four Trackers Teams.
- Compensation $16.35 per hour (average day is 7.75 - 8 hours)
- 2+ years of general work history.
- Enthusiasm to learn outdoor education and Trackers Skills.
- Role With a Coordinator and Specialist, guide two to four Trackers Teams.
- Compensation $17.25 - $18.25 per hour (average day is 7.75 - 8 hours)
- Experience and enthusiasm to work with youth, helping them to contribute.
- 6+ years of general work history, ideally in education or the skill you specialize in.
- One or more of the following specialty skills is useful to have experience with: Wilderness Survival & Tracking - Farm Craft & Homesteading - Fishing & Canoeing - Role-Playing with Outdoors Skills - Climbing & Paddle Sports - Paintball - Photo, Ceramics, Woodworking, or Blacksmithing
- Role With a Coordinator and Lead, guide two to four youth directed Trackers Teams in specific skills or camp themes.
- Compensation $20.50 per hour (teaching days average 5-6 hours)
- 1 season of management experience, preferably in outdoor or educational settings.
- 1+ years experience in outdoor education or 2+ in general education.
- Ability to coordinate and plan for complex logistics, flexibility in working with challenges.
- Capability to set and maintain high standards of performance for staff and campers.
- Able to work with large groups of youth while dividing them down into multiple teams.
- Expertly communicates with parents, staff, and youth.
- Cleans like a boss, maintaining gear, buses, and show ready appearance of team.
- We can help you get this CDL Class B or C with Passenger Endorsement
- Role Oversees a team of both an Lead and Specialist while guiding two to four youth directed Trackers Teams in specific skills or camp themes.
- Compensation - Class C CDL (2021): $785 per week (Summer), $18.65 per hour (Winter Break)
- Compensation - Class B CDL (2021): $843 per week (Summer), $19.17 per hour (Winter Break)
We are committed to being fair in how we pay. Summer rates of compensation are transparent, and fixed, so you can be assured Trackers Earth provides equal pay for equal roles and responsibilities. Compensation from a position’s base rate relies on documented licenses and work history.
Please Note Training pays Minimum Wage, during normal teaching schedule, the regular pay scale applies. Training can be done on a flexible time frame leading up to programming seasons.
Since 2004, kids and extended families in all their forms have journeyed on adventures with Trackers Earth and our Guides. We share the Arts of Tracking through stewardship and enduring outdoor skills. We commit to developing opportunity by respecting the diverse cultures and values of every Guide, youth, and family serving with us. We endeavor to grow with families for the increased accessibility of these experiences. We define ourselves by an ever deeper kinship to the more than human world, multi-generational character, and the principles discovered and found in the quietest moments with the forest.
As a seasonal educator with Trackers, you are not assigned to an officially fixed worksite. Locations can include: SE Portland, NE Portland, W Portland, Happy Valley, or Sandy, OR.
Required Experience, Attributes & Physical Demands
Maintain high professional standards
Punctual and timely for all scheduled shifts
Ability to set and communicate boundaries for youth in a positive way
Ability to think on your feet, be creative, and care for the safety of children even in challenging situations
CPR/First Aid certified (or ability to complete before position begins)
Anaphylaxis & Epinephrine Auto-Injector certified (or ability to complete before position begins)
Food handlers certified (or ability to complete before position begins)
State fishing license (if working with programs that fish)
Recognizing & Reporting Child Abuse & Neglect
Completed COVID-19 Vaccination or exception with verification and Central Background Registry with your State
Ability to continuously stand, hike backcountry terrain on and off-trail, bend, squat, climb stairs/hills, lift up to 50 lbs
Pre-employment checks: criminal background, reference, requirements in MVR Policy, Alcohol/Drug Test for drivers